There are so many applications and uses for text/mobile platforms that every business should be using them. Here are 50 examples of businesses in a variety of industries (retail, service, hospitality, entertainment, education, non-profits, politics, travel, etc) using text/mobile media for their businesses. If you can’t find a use for mobile marketing for your business, you probably should find one considering the other forms of media are dying and the numbers of mobile phone users is growing! Mobile media is a green way to reach your customers to, so you’re being environmentally conscious by saving green while making green!
1. Local restaurants/Local shops can deliver timely promotional offers via text. I read about how one local coffee increased their business during the week but sales still slow on the weekend. They initiated a text campaign & offered one dollar off a large gourmet coffee. They used various advertisements such as newspaper ads, a coupon magazine, etc. By the end of their campaign they had 300 new customers in their data base with increased in their sales by 26%!
2. McDonald’s Italy promoted a holiday campaign to send Santa Clause using SMS. The company advertised unique codes they printed on cups for consumers to text in the restaurant. Every code was a winner of course. Gifts arranged from mobile content such as: personal calls from Santa, sending postcards to friends, and Personal photos with Santa to attracted physical prizes like prepaid credit cards, 150 mobile phones and free airtime. Overall the campaign was a huge success & received a 25% response rate. Participants were in the millions!
3. Fast food chain Wendy’s International rolled out a mobile coupon campaign, in partnership with Options Media Group Holdings. In the end results: “We found from past campaigns that text messaging-based incentives work very well. Consumers tend to look at text messages quicker than e-mail, so it’s an instant result for [the brand],” said Frohman. “And it’s something that’s very beneficial to the consumer.”
4. Crowded Food Courts in malls with are using SMS to let customers know their food is ready while they are shopping.
5. DMG World Media is an international exhibition and publishing company that produces more than 300 market-leading trade exhibitions, consumer raises the bar for communication with Expo attendees and exhibitors. DMG used text messaging solution, created an effective, cost-efficient text program to offer their 16,000+ attendees and 1,000 exhibitors.
6. Colleges and universities and high schools in America and some countries are embracing text-messaging services for notification of weather-related cancellations and emergency alerts. Messages can be sent to an entire student body with warnings and updates immediately.
7. LSI Corporation employees set up a text-messaging alert system to ensure that residents of Greenburg, Kansas could get urgent information quickly because popularity tornadoes in that state. They also achieved a second goal by letting them know there were people working to make things better. This not only provided assurance but comfort as well.
8. TAO is one of Las Vegas’ premier nightclubs. Traditional implemented a text messaging marketing strategy to promote their weekly parties & their big DJ nights. In two weeks, TAO had a database of 2,000 customers who opted in to regular texts from the club. Attendance increased & sales exponentially.
9. Did you know students in the UK are using text messaging to stop bullies? They are using a new service that allows the students to send a text message if they are being threatened by bullies. Harassing messages are forwarded to school & follow up by school authorities.
10. Movie Theatre: Moviegoers text to receive mobile rewards coupons, including coupons redeemable for concession discounts. Users can then scan and redeem their coupon at an interactive touch screen kiosk located in participating theaters, which read the barcode on the phone’s screen.
11. Financial Services: Many financial companies send regular text messages to its customers who opt in to get information regarding recent balances, alerts notices on transactions & balances.
12. In Kenya, mobile subscribers to Safaricom can send cash to other mobile phone users with text. With majority the population excluded from formal banking, the system is expected to change how customers do their banking significantly.
13. St Christopher’s Fellowship, a child care charity and housing association, SMS) from Avanquest to facilitate a private and confidential method of communication between staff and their service users. St Christopher’s is a registered charity providing care and accommodation for homeless and vulnerable children and young people in London. Messages were sent instantly and clients then have the ability to reply right away which speed the communications process and giving organizations a competitive edge.
14. The new Crime Stoppers tip line enables Boston residents to anonymously provide information about crimes that may help police make their communities safer. Citizens simply text the word “tip” to the short code C-R-I-M-E.
15. For healthcare providers, “no shows” mean lost revenue. Doctors are now using SMS to remind patients of their upcoming appointments. A two-way text service allows patients to either confirm or cancel. Doctors are also sending texts to parents reminding them of upcoming inoculations for their kids.”
16. Dry cleaners are getting more clothes in thanks to text messages. Clients can text messages letting clients know when their clothes are ready for pickups or/and delivery. Dry Cleaners can also send out discounts & coupons.
17. Britain’s National Health Service did a national awareness campaign across the North East of England with a radio network using text messaging to target youth market. Concerned listeners who about sexually transmitted infections could discretely text to a mobile short code in order to receive home testing kits.
18. Auto industries are using text messaging service customers join auto clubs; receive news, updates, & maintaince. Example, one Auto Company sent text for free oil changes and added on they have been entered in a New Car Give away Sweepstakes! Another example, a text was sent to come in for a test drive and win theater or football tickets or dinner. Customers can text in to enter or join.
19. In addition to promotions, newspapers and magazines are offering mobile classifieds; mobile dating services are sending news alerts. The New York Times launched a text messaging service to distribute news, and columns from its newspaper and magazine. Readers were able to text NYTNYT (698-698) and choose their favorite sections to get the latest news & updates
20. Doggie Day Care facilities are sending vital vaccine texts for the pennies and avoid postal costs.
21. USA Today sends targeted ads via text messages that readers can request on their cell phones, in addition to updated information on sports, stocks, weather and other news.
22. Philadelphia Style Magazine decided it was time to build a stronger relationship with their customers by incorporating text messaging. They reached their target to better reach their target 25 – 45 year-old readers and offered the first 50 text subscribers gift certificates.
23. Game stores are texting a special heads up for long awaited games, top ten games, discounts, & memberships.
24. Real Estate Agents: For instant property listings in, house hunters can text in a unique code that can be customized according to their criteria. For-sale signs, prospective buyers can learn more about a great real estate listing by texting a specific ID number on the sign to a short code, allowing the buyer to receive instant information on that property instantly.
25. Comedy Clubs are texting out the lineup and filling seats faster while building loyalty.
26. Elevate, is a youth-focused, community-driven organization with outreach efforts that extend beyond the confines of the church. Because most community members are on the go, Elevate decided that a text messaging solution would allow them to quickly, effectively reach their members. Elevate promotes its special events, church campaigns and church services through several texts per week.
27. Through texting, City Year Corps, a nonprofit, the organization notifies new applicants of deadlines and information; current students receive real-time announcements about cancellations or changes to their meetings and events.
28. The Forest Law, Argentina’s first federal forest protection act passed in 2007, Greenpeace collected some 350,000 mobile phone numbers via a petition signed by supporters. They used the mobile marketing to send urgent alerts and the latest news on the legislation. The campaign played serious part in saving Argentinean forests.
29. One of the largest fundraising events for AIDS, (AIDS Walk Los Angeles), brought attention to the widen epidemic of AIDS occurring globally. Busses, posters, table tents and more include instruction to text into a short code for registration information.
30. In Spain Election Day in 2004, demonstrations were banned 24 hours prior to an election. Instead, protesters rallied via text messaging, utilizing the country’s 94% mobile phone penetration rate in Spain.
31. Gannett Co.’s local TV station in the Minneapolis-Saint Paul market, KARE/Channel 11, has initiated several mobile campaigns on behalf of its clients. Hoiggard’s, a retailer in the Twin Cities area, (outdoor sports and camping equipment). Commercials was ran for two days with a text message at the end, encouraging people to text “tent” to get a discount coupon coinciding with the retailer’s weekend tent sale, This was an easy incentive for their customers to shop their two-day sale because they knew customers are very active and busy .
32. Grocery store chains spent thousands of dollars each month in newspaper advertising and can reduce expense without losing sales. A text campaign sent customers including exclusive weekly grocery specials can increase sales & gather new customers.
33. Great communication tool for the deaf and hard of hearing .Fifty deaf students in Toronto’s public schools are using two-way pagers to send text messages to teachers, family and friends. Participants say that text messaging helped them to become more independence and improved their social skills. One student said “I used to stay home a lot. I was bored. Now, I can contact my friends through the pager and go out.”
34. Since I live in Minnesota, I was surprised to discover a full-service gas station; center located near St. Paul, Mn went beyond the call of duty in customer service. They used text messaging: alerting customers when gas prices are scheduled to increase. Customers simply text GAS to 25827.
35. Competitive sport events like Horse racing and other sports are using SMS marketing to send daily tips on horses/race cars to subscribers. Customers are sent thousands of text messages a week about the sports and can use the text messages in evaluating where to place their bets.
36. College & High school sports recruiting take advantage of texting by providing instant access to prospects with SMS. Coaches realize their potential recruits are between ages 18-25 and most likely carry a cell phone and will respond to text messages.
37. Fitness Centers & Gyms everywhere are using mobile marketing to generate leads. They can text out new membership promotions and offer current data on new classes, schedules and class cancellations.
38. Religious, Social and Advocacy Groups: Mike O’Brien, 44, said his 13-year-old daughter and his wife have texted questions to the church’s pastors. “It beats walking out of there with a question burning in your head and not having it answered,” he said. Schreiner said after just three weeks of taking text-message questions, he can feel a difference in his preaching. “It gives me a little more of a teaching role,” he said. “It gets back to Jesus Christ and the Sermon on the Mount where I picture Jesus having a conversation with the people. With texting, it becomes much more of a dialogue.”
39. Several professional sports teams are using text for special promotions, available tickets, and advertising. Local leagues & coaches are using text messaging to alert parents about sudden schedule changes, weather updates. Some are even sending a report on how their child did after the games.
40. The company VeriSign uses text messaging as a powerful internal communications tool for their employees in corporate meetings, SMS powers text-to-vote polls which will allow for current & real time charts/ graphs. The company is able to gather the opinions of it’s’ employees.
41. Nonprofit Group Text Messaging Campaigns on the rise” Text messages can also be used to drive traffic to an organization’s mobile website and to ask people to Text-to give. Many nonprofits have launched text messaging. For example, a nonprofit group, DO something, is using text alerts to inform individuals about volunteer opportunities in their area. Others that have joined them are: American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, World Wildlife Fund and Special Olympics are just a few that are launching text campaigns
42. Anti-virus company Symantec Alert Service. They will send out alert via SMS helping customers aware of computer viruses & outbreaks on the Internet.
43. Political Parties/Elections in Canada, young children used their cell phones to discuss Canada’s political parties during the federal election. Text messages were sent to various politicians asking them questions about important issues kids expressed.
44. Blue Shield of California provided expectant mothers prenatal tips via text they have a program called Blue text4baby as part of its Prenatal Education program which gives amazing information about prenatal and postpartum care. Text4baby is a free text messaging service that gives quick advice on variety topics such as nutrition & immunizations.
45. UPS and Postal services send alerts to customers via text messaging regarding delivery updates on their packages.
46. British Airways developed a real time communication channel for alerting passengers, logistics firms and staff of last minute flight update information. Passengers are invited to sign up to the service via the British Airways website. The service was also promoted in trade publications and via direct communication with British Airway agents.
47. Airlines & Travel agents are using SMS to send updates on special deals and current promotions. Text messages can help keep you passengers abreast of schedule changes, flight delays and cancelations, and other important news. Many airlines are changing or cutting back their schedules to save money in the face of high fuel prices. It’s not uncommon to find out that your direct flight you booked two months ago has been changed to a connecting flight that departs much earlier or later…
48. US Airways printed an ad with a short code on its cocktail napkins that allowed passengers to sign up with their names and email addresses. The Mega Airline was able to a follow-up with offers that email included a digital membership card, program information, and the ability to sign up for a full text messaging program.
49. Hotels are providing top customer service levels by sending “Thank You” texts to customers just after checking out. They can also be notified if they may have left items such as wallets, purses or other luggage items in their rooms. The Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority launched a several text messaging contests & campaigns to their database. They included a “text-to-win” campaign featuring a free trip to Las Vegas. This launch filled a lot of hotel rooms!
50. Family Reunions: Family Reunion organizers can send text reminders about the schedule changes & updates and get the word out about the back-up plan if it rains. Often family members traveling from afar may need directions to event. Simply text address or person of contact.
READY TO GET STARTED WITH YOUR TEXT/MOBILE MEDIA CAMPAIGN?